Australian Rocketry Association INC
May 25, 2017, 11:16:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Happy Easter 2012

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats a model, LPR, MPR & HPR rocket?  (Read 3132 times)
wolfies gurl
ASIO

Polecat Thumper on an M1297 yeah!!!!!

« on: February 24, 2008, 09:46:23 PM »

This would be the most commonly asked question in rocketry.  What defines these categories? Read below as I break down the definitions from the CASA document AC 101-2.  

LEVEL 3 - Australia's first female LEVEL 3 Certification. 100% born and bred.

"Never tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"
wolfies gurl
ASIO

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 10:01:12 PM »

"small model rocket" means a model rocket weighing less than 500grams and having 20Ns or less total impulse and uses no more than 25grams of propellant. (the weight includes the total weight of the rocket including the motor).

What is 20Ns? The motors you buy have an Ns rating generally your local hobby shop will only carry up to "C" or "D" motors in WA. This will be different for other states. These motors are called blackpowder motors and only go up to "E-9". After this they are "AP" or "composite" motors.(more info on this later).

You may want to fly a rocket weighing less than 500grams but has more than 20Ns impulse this then becomes a "model rocket" even the other way a rocket weighing more than 500grams but has less than 20Ns impulse becomes a "model rocket".

In short if you exceed any one or all of the requirements of the definition then you are flying a "model rocket". Read the next post below;

wolfies gurl
ASIO

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 10:20:50 PM »

"model rocket"  means any rocket weighing not more than 1500grams which is propelled by one or more rocket motors producing not more than 320Ns total impulse and less than 125grams of propellant; that contains a device for returning it to the ground in a condition to fly again, whose structural parts are made of balsa, wood, paper or plastics or a combination of those materials, but contains no metal as structural parts.

As explained before exceed any one or all of the requirements then you need to read the next category.

If you are clustetring motors then add the total Ns of all the motors being used in the rocket. If you exceed the 320Ns in total you also need to read the next category. 

wolfies gurl
ASIO

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 10:44:52 PM »

"High Powered Rocket" (HPR) means a rocket that is not a model rocket whose construction technique is similar to a "model rocket" but exceeds the limits for a "model rocket". A HPR weighs more than 1500grams and is propelled by one or more motors having a total impulse greater than 320Ns and more than 125grams of propellant.

wolfies gurl
ASIO

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 10:50:13 PM »

LPR  - is a general term refering to model rockets flying on A, B, C and D motors.
MPR - is a general term refering to model rockets flying on E, F and G motors.
HPR - is for H motors and above.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And CreateAForum.com