Ok, so here's the build...bearing in mind i am not a master craftsman of rockets....i'm more a "throw the glue in the right direction and hope for the best" kinda model builder.
Ok, so i purchased a Binder Raptor - One thing that immediately comes to mind is the quality of the packaging. The bag is sealed off at each section to contain the necessary bits....fins, shroud lines and rail buttons are all sealed off. In previous kits like the LOC kits, they are all bagged up but bunged in the same bag so it can be very confusing. I like the way Binder lays things out.
Ok so hopefull this lot will turn into something meaningful. Optional avionics bay kit is on the right side.
One important thing to note with this kit - it actually comes with a rudimentary payload bay (2 x innertube and two wooden end caps...not great, but if you cut a piece of the tubing away from the main airframe, you can actually make a second payload bay...which i am currently doing). I intend to use the second payload bay for a video camera mount in the near future.
In the meantime, i am going to need alot of this!:
Ok now to sand the fins and check the position of the wooden parts on the 54mm motor mount - i used a simple bunnings $20 sander and it took no time to sand the fins down.
Now i admit, i do tend to get a bit messy with the glue....here i am glueing in the mount mounts centering rings...doesnt matter how messy it is, noone will see it anyway* (* - unless it blows up......)
One thing to remember - see the eyebolt on the right - best to make sure the hole you drill is far enough out to accomodate the washer...first crack at it, my washer hit the side of the centering ring as it didnt have enough room......
Now to check the mounting of the fins and make sure it's all hunky dory before i glue everything into place
Ok, so this is where i ran into, lets just say...a small issue. When i mounted the fins, i left the fins to dry and one of them...err kinda popped out leaving me with this little nightmare. So how does one fix "wonky fin" placement....well i sanded down everyone else to be a bit more symetrical - so problem solved, but it was an "Oh S&it" moment when i woke up to. All fortunately was resolved......
If there's anything i learnt from this....try not to do everything at once, as you WILL miss something.
Another thing - i made sure i filled up the motor mount around every fin with loads of epoxy - after the raptor issue last year with the motor mount detatching, i left nothing to chance and used loads around the centering rings to re-inforce as much as possible for added strength.
Next thing...fillet up the (corrected) fins.....used less than i normally do, but seemed appropriate given how much i had used internally
Ok, sand the epoxy down once your done so the paint adheres better....
Ready to paint!
One trick...dont leave it out in 40 degree heat for spray paint to cure....it bubbles!..A bit of sanding was needed after one or two coats. Spray paint from supercheap auto did the trick at $2.95 a can!...Nice.
Finished product...all painted up and ready to roll. I painted the avionics bay black just to be different....i have started on that, but since my electronics is still lost in Brazil somewhere in transit, i will do a photo or two when i install that lot. I'll also do one on my camera bay.
I intend to probably do my level 2 with this bad boy.....does about 3000ft on a J350 i believe.