Australian Rocketry Association INC
April 24, 2017, 07:12:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Australian history was made on the 23rd of October 2011 with the flawless flight of Sean  Rowe`s and Michael Gerlach`s 2 stage hybrid at the AARC launch site.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Raptor Build - Dogzilla style  (Read 3244 times)
Dogzilla
ARA Member

« on: February 21, 2010, 10:26:20 PM »

Am just nearing the painting stage of my Raptor....oh what a build!.

Will post pictures once i can grab them all off my iphone.

This is one big rocket....and weighs a ton..

Payload bay is curing it's bits together as we speak....found an extra bit of coupler tube too...which i might use to make a camera payload bay ala Thunderbirds....interchangable payloads perhaps?.

Anyway...photos soon as soon as i can doctor them to make it look like i didn't invite 30 monkeys over to help me make it.

cruise missile
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 12:57:53 AM »

So what colours are you going for Dogzilla.
Dogzilla
ARA Member

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 09:42:27 AM »

I'm still pondering that one - I thought a mean looking red and black might go well, considered moo cow but Gdude has copyright on that...jury is still out but I was considering painting it up on the weekend so I have a little time to think. Any suggestions?
cruise missile
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 09:58:56 AM »

Pink with black polka dots?
gdude

arrrrrrrrrrrr 1 eyed scallywag

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 07:43:53 PM »

go for it dude moooo cowwwwwwwwwww mark 2  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Dogzilla
ARA Member

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 06:19:59 PM »

Ok, so here's the build...bearing in mind i am not a master craftsman of rockets....i'm more a "throw the glue in the right direction and hope for the best" kinda model builder.

Ok, so i purchased a Binder Raptor - One thing that immediately comes to mind is the quality of the packaging. The bag is sealed off at each section to contain the necessary bits....fins, shroud lines and rail buttons are all sealed off. In previous kits like the LOC kits, they are all bagged up but bunged in the same bag so it can be very confusing. I like the way Binder lays things out.

Ok so hopefull this lot will turn into something meaningful. Optional avionics bay kit is on the right side.

One important thing to note with this kit - it actually comes with a rudimentary payload bay (2 x innertube and two wooden end caps...not great, but if you cut a piece of the tubing away from the main airframe, you can actually make a second payload bay...which i am currently doing). I intend to use the second payload bay for a video camera mount in the near future.

In the meantime, i am going to need alot of this!:

Ok now to sand the fins and check the position of the wooden parts on the 54mm motor mount - i used a simple bunnings $20 sander and it took no time to sand the fins down.

Now i admit, i do tend to get a bit messy with the glue....here i am glueing in the mount mounts centering rings...doesnt matter how messy it is, noone will see it anyway*  (* - unless it blows up......)

One thing to remember - see the eyebolt on the right - best to make sure the hole you drill is far enough out to accomodate the washer...first crack at it, my washer hit the side of the centering ring as it didnt have enough room......

Now to check the mounting of the fins and make sure it's all hunky dory before i glue everything into place

Ok, so this is where i ran into, lets just say...a small issue. When i mounted the fins, i left the fins to dry and one of them...err kinda popped out leaving me with this little nightmare. So how does one fix "wonky fin" placement....well i sanded down everyone else to be a bit more symetrical - so problem solved, but it was an "Oh S&it" moment when i woke up to. All fortunately was resolved......

If there's anything i learnt from this....try not to do everything at once, as you WILL miss something.

Another thing - i made sure i filled up the motor mount around every fin with loads of epoxy - after the raptor issue last year with the motor mount detatching, i left nothing to chance and used loads around the centering rings to re-inforce as much as possible for added strength.

Next thing...fillet up the (corrected) fins.....used less than i normally do, but seemed appropriate given how much i had used internally

Ok, sand the epoxy down once your done so the paint adheres better....

Ready to paint!
One trick...dont leave it out in 40 degree heat for spray paint to cure....it bubbles!..A bit of sanding was needed after one or two coats. Spray paint from supercheap auto did the trick at $2.95 a can!...Nice.

Finished product...all painted up and ready to roll. I painted the avionics bay black just to be different....i have started on that, but since my electronics is still lost in Brazil somewhere in transit, i will do a photo or two when i install that lot. I'll also do one on my camera bay.

I intend to probably do my level 2 with this bad boy.....does about 3000ft on a J350 i believe.
wolfies gurl
ASIO

Polecat Thumper on an M1297 yeah!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 03:04:19 PM »

awesome job Dogzilla nice colour too.

I can see you love your glue but no one will see it lol.

I agree Binder packaging is the best and the instructions are very easy to follow.

LEVEL 3 - Australia's first female LEVEL 3 Certification. 100% born and bred.

"Never tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"
Dazza98
ARA Member

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 10:27:41 PM »

raptor drag race dogzilla... Wink
nice build did you have and glue left..lol
cruise missile
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 11:38:41 PM »

Some nice build pictures there Dogzilla thanks for sharing them with the forum.
wolflair
ARA Member

V2

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 08:44:09 PM »

love it dude  Cool Cool gotta love binder cant wait to see it race my new raptor once i get round to building it  Roll Eyes

Join the Australian Rocketry Association INC the largest model and high power rocketry organisation in Australia

ARA # 007
ARA Level 3

WRL Rocketry
Australian Aerotech Dealer
Australian Rocketry Fo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And CreateAForum.com