Australian Rocketry Association INC
April 24, 2017, 07:15:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Australian history was made on the 23rd of October 2011 with the flawless flight of Sean  Rowe`s and Michael Gerlach`s 2 stage hybrid at the AARC launch site.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Binder Iris Build  (Read 5297 times)
wolflair
ARA Member

V2

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 10:49:07 AM »

nice build so far mate looking good

just on the shock cord the Binder ones supplied with the kits will handle the loads placed on them , it must be remembered that they are tubular shockcords which spread the weight and stress on the cord evenly over it .

just for readers info i have been using a standard binder cord in my  M powered competitor as a back up cord with no problems at all.

great to see you building new kits and restocking your fleet.  blcool blcool blcool blcool blcool blcool blcool blcool blcool blcool

Join the Australian Rocketry Association INC the largest model and high power rocketry organisation in Australia

ARA # 007
ARA Level 3

WRL Rocketry
Australian Aerotech Dealer
Australian Rocketry Fo
RocketballSA
ARA Member

Fantom on a H170 Sparky

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 11:00:38 AM »

Its not really the load on shock cord which am worried about Wolflair. Its the load on the body tube from an early ejection or late ejection that worries me. Zippers are a pain, plus love mega long shock cords.  dizwink

Now for the real fun.  dizrolleyes Instructions suggested painting the entire rocket white first then to proceed with masking areas off for the other colours. This prompted a quick trip to bunnings where 2 cans of white were obtained at a bargain price of $2.95 each.  dizcool

Next was to find somewhere to paint it. A wire coat hanger was modified and hung on one of the launch buttons.

Painting several coats will be needed before masking can begin.

Will post more later.

AARC Secretary/Treasurer 02,  ARA L2 Flight Test Officer 

Join the AARC http://www.aarc.australianrocketryclub.com.au/contents/en-us/d1.html

Australian Rocketry For
Rocketmad
ARA Member

I am what I am

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 09:26:29 AM »

i like your thinking with the shock cord.
that paint is not bad for the price, i use it myself when i am painting a rocket my self, i have been know to spend extreme amount of money on painting rockets.  icon_shaking
RocketballSA
ARA Member

Fantom on a H170 Sparky

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »

Thanks Rocketmad. At this stage my total cost for painting this rocket is $8.85.  icon_thumleft

Painting is progressing well as shown by photos below;

Join the AARC http://www.aarc.australianrocketryclub.com.au/contents/en-us/d1.html

Australian Rocketry For
RocketballSA
ARA Member

Fantom on a H170 Sparky

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 08:48:52 AM »

After running out of black which prompted another quick trip to Bunnings have now finally finished. The TOTAL cost of this paint job was $11.80.  icon_thumright

Now what to launch this rocket on for its first flight at next meet.  dizundecided

hum

Common sense suggests something small like a H or I for its first flight.  32

Am feeling a bit evil about this.  fanevil So am going to consider putting the biggest, meanest, nastiest motor in this for its first flight. A J510W  bltongue

Can someone please give me a estimated height with this motor as don't want to exceed the CASA permission?

Australian Rocketry For
Nighthawk
ARA Member

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 09:56:53 AM »

Love that paint scheme.

LOL @ J510... Assuming it survives it'll hit around 5000ft at mach 0.98

ARA Member #233
Level 1: 17/6/12 PML Callisto - H170M
Level 2: 29/9/12 PML AMRAAM 4 - J350W
RocketballSA
ARA Member

Fantom on a H170 Sparky

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 10:40:59 AM »

Yeah baby  dance  Thanks Nighthawk.  icon_thumright

Australian Rocketry For
Rocketmad
ARA Member

I am what I am

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 07:25:22 PM »

nice paint skills there rocketballsa, you want to paint mine for me i pay well.
wolflair
ARA Member

V2

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 10:44:38 PM »

yes very nice painting painting dude  blcool

Join the Australian Rocketry Association INC the largest model and high power rocketry organisation in Australia

ARA # 007
ARA Level 3

WRL Rocketry
Australian Aerotech Dealer
Australian Rocketry Fo
Lachlan

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 10:08:48 AM »

That's one sweet looking rocket RBSA

Am feeling a bit evil about this.   So am going to consider putting the biggest, meanest, nastiest motor in this for its first flight. A J510W 

Can someone please give me a estimated height with this motor as don't want to exceed the CASA permission?

I did some calculations and I estimate mach 0.924 and 4,546ft, with 37Gs. Time to apogee - 13.1s

Maybe we should do a poll to see who gets the closest. I have a altimeter 2 you can borough if you don't break it!
RocketballSA
ARA Member

Fantom on a H170 Sparky

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 12:48:43 PM »

Cheers for that Loki.  icon_thumright Wont be able to launch to that height if its windy. Without dual deploy it would take about 10 to 15 minutes to come down on chute. Will see what weather is like.  dizundecided

Australian Rocketry For
RocketballSA
ARA Member

Fantom on a H170 Sparky

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 07:12:46 PM »

Our last launch of the year for AARC saw the Iris go up. Given the weather was great with hardly any wind decided to use the rail launcher which cant be angled. All went extremely well for its first flight. Was very pleased with its flight and recovery as seen in the photos below.  icon_thumleft

Unfortunately everyone missed the actual launch photo as was too quick.   BangHead

This concludes the build thread for Iris which found was a very easy kit to build.  icon_thumright

Australian Rocketry For
Rocketmad
ARA Member

I am what I am

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 09:04:31 PM »

great work mate. 13
RocketballSA
ARA Member

Fantom on a H170 Sparky

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2013, 03:01:34 AM »

Another flight on a J510W in NSW!  icon_thumleft

Australian Rocketry For
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And CreateAForum.com