Australian Rocketry Association INC
April 30, 2017, 05:20:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Congrats to Tanya from QRA on her Level 1

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Polecat 10" Thumper Nat's Level 3 Dream  (Read 18028 times)
wolfies gurl
ASIO

Polecat Thumper on an M1297 yeah!!!!!

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2011, 12:09:53 AM »

Congrats Nat, well done!

That is a very nice rocket.  13

thanks Smiley when I get some more M motors will have to launch a few for the crowds at Toodyay

LEVEL 3 - Australia's first female LEVEL 3 Certification. 100% born and bred.

"Never tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"
WaidmannsHeil7
ARA Member

My first mid-power, Aerotech Mustang.

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2011, 12:22:24 AM »

I need to go to Doomsday next year (can't this year), I wanna see a few rockets of that size go fly.  dizevil

Seeing this inspires me to go cert 1 (through to 3) when I am old nuff to get the appropriate licenses for high power.

Vector Force Rocket Club

My blog - http://lonewolfnoble.blogspot.com.au/
wolfies gurl
ASIO

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2011, 07:45:11 AM »

I need to go to Doomsday next year (can't this year), I wanna see a few rockets of that size go fly.  dizevil

Seeing this inspires me to go cert 1 (through to 3) when I am old nuff to get the appropriate licenses for high power.

there have been junior certifications for hpr before, if you can prove you know what you are doing there is nothing to stop you from obtaining your goals in the ARA.... food for thought

ceNedra
ARA Member

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2011, 10:30:14 AM »

What's next? Bigger and more powerful!!!!!!!  blgrin

Jehannum and I will try to get to Doomsday this year cos I would love to see this being launched myself. We've never seen anything bigger than a J go up so I personally want to feel and hear the boom of something bigger than that go up.

Have to say that you make a great role model for the girls of Australian Rocketry Nat. Keep up the good work.
wolfies gurl
ASIO

« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2011, 10:44:11 AM »

what's next.... well wolf and I spoke about this yesterday on the way home and we pretty much had the same idea so we will update you all when all the plans come together, its going to be huge........

thanks CeNedra for your kind words, I would love to meet Jehannum and yourself in person, one of our next rocketry trips after SA is to QLD so if you don't make Doomsday then we will see you in QLD next year if it all goes to plan.

I have seen a few M launches before but I do have to say watching a slow M launch was an experience. The roar went through you and put chills up my spine and the slow liftoff lets you take it all in, I held my breath for about 30 secs until the drogue deployed then the back up then the wait that felt like forever then the main popped out perfectly - you can hear me start cheering when the main pops out lol

I hope everyone in rocketry gets to experience the thrill of a successful project. Smiley

Mr F
ARA Member

I am your father!

« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2011, 12:11:55 PM »

Wow - what? When did all this happen?!?! That's so awesome, congrats Nat!
 dance

Gosh, only 4000ft on an M - that would've looked and sounded spectacular!

They call me Flinty... they call me Johnno... they call me Freddy... always the same...
that's not my name... that's not my name... that's not my name... that's not my name...

EP Rocketry section head
ARA #120
L2 and scheming...
RocketballSA
ARA Member

Fantom on a H170 Sparky

« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2011, 12:25:02 PM »

All happened yesterday Mr F.  great Am with you on slow take offs. Can see lots more when these happen.

All the extra roar and smoke that goes with them.  blcool

AARC Secretary/Treasurer 02,  ARA L2 Flight Test Officer 

Join the AARC http://www.aarc.australianrocketryclub.com.au/contents/en-us/d1.html

Australian Rocketry For
wolfies gurl
ASIO

« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2011, 12:36:13 PM »

Wow - what? When did all this happen?!?! That's so awesome, congrats Nat!
 dance

Gosh, only 4000ft on an M - that would've looked and sounded spectacular!

Best kept secret in rocketry lol

To go through such a project is quite a fun thing, it took the boys quite a few days to sell me the idea to bring forward my plans and do it within a 5 week time frame - my first reaction when approached was are you freakin kiddin me?Huh?? You want me to do WHAT!!!! No way its not possible and a few other words along with that....

I thought about it over the Easter break and the country air must've corrupted my brain and I finally agreed to take up the challenge when I got home from our camping weekend.

I didn't know I would make the deadline until Wednesday just gone when I felt happy with the ground tests, so no one except a select few knew about the build and the launch date was expected to be June 1st at the latest so that was a surprise for all involved when I rescheduled my work committments to allow me to fly it early yesterday. I was still glassing things on Thursday and Friday so it was very close indeed.

I have slept most nights for 5 hours a night the last few weeks and every waking minute has been spent between study, exams, assignments, rocket building and work when I had to.

Those who stood by me and encouraged me know who they are and I did appreciate all the advice and mentoring these last few weeks, my apologies to my husband who had to deal with the stressed out wife and the shopping lists of what to go buy me when I ran out of supplies, you were definately my rock through this. Someone even noticed the shaking in my voice the other day when I spoke to them about the rocket project, it was a great experience though but not one I would recommend in a short time frame.

Agent Smith
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2011, 08:53:05 AM »

Congratulations on your level 3 achievement wolfies gurl, It looked like a good flight on the video

Anyway congratulations , I suppose we will all get to see it fly again,

Agent Smith

wolfies gurl
ASIO

« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2011, 09:11:05 AM »

thanks Agent Smith and for sure the Thumper will be seen again probably more times than most people will realise as this can be launched at our Toodyay site so visitors will be in for a real treat over launch season Smiley

I learnt a few things from the flight so I will now implement what I have learnt and make a few changes to suit what I want from this rocket. The fun of rocketry completing a project learning a few things and making changes, wouldn't you agree?

There is also another polecat rocket level 3 project being flown at DOOMSDAY this year so that should be exciting.

Mr F
ARA Member

I am your father!

« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2011, 04:40:02 PM »

Nat can you please explain to the n00bs (me) what the idea of swinging the rocket around is? I think I read somewhere else about drag separation but what exactly does that mean? I thought the rocket used a Drogue and Main 'chute, each ejected by a BP ignition. Or is the drag separation a kind of back-up plan if the main doesn't fire?

They call me Flinty... they call me Johnno... they call me Freddy... always the same...
that's not my name... that's not my name... that's not my name... that's not my name...

EP Rocketry section head
ARA #120
L2 and scheming...
wolfies gurl
ASIO

« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »

Ok the idea behind the swinging of the nose cone was for 3 things really 1) end a debate between phil and myself, 2) to ensure the nose cone stayed on once the drogue and alt bay was ejected from the main airframe as the main chute was in the nose cone and 3) drag seperation

The nose cone/alt bay area once ejected from the rocket swings around in the air and I needed to ensure it would not come apart until the altimeter was ready to seperate the nose from the alt bay.

Hence why the level 3 FTO was testing my rocket, you dont want to see what he did to my fins to ensure I secured them properly talk about wanting to punch him out for trying to break my rocket!!!!

The first test was not the way I wanted to do it so it was tested and as you can see it came apart after the first swing, then I secured the nosecone my way and it held hence the comment only took a gurl to do it lol..... every time I made changes to secure parts of the rocket it had to be retested to ensure the correct grams of boom powder would eject the parts.

Basically drag seperation can be a factor in bigger rockets and both level 3 fto's mentioned this to me and 2 level 2 fto's also wanted to make sure I had worked it out to the best of my ability. Obviously I did as my rocket only seperated when my alt charges went off.

Drag seperation occurs when one part of the airframe slows down much faster than another part of the airframe thus separating the rocket and causing premature deployment (which can cause serious damage to the rocket) so its an in flight risk so you want to secure your alt bays and nose cones to the rest of the airframe really well.

The thumper had a 45 inch drogue at apogee, a 2 sec mac delay (purely a precaution for air disturbances over the air frame) and a 96 inch mains at 700ft. The rocket weighed 20 kgs without motor and went to 4255ft. I also had a backup timer set just in case. The closest walk I have ever done for a rocket too so that was nice Smiley

wolfies gurl
ASIO

« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2011, 09:10:24 PM »

There are a number of ways to prevent drag seperation

The 2 most common are using shear pins and taping the airframe. Each way has its good and bad points I was initially going to use shear pins but then one of the level2 fto's bad experience turned me off and I went with what I felt comfortable with. When you hear the horror stories it kinda turns you off when your stressing if a flight will be successful or not.

Now that the flight was successful I will test shear pins for the next flight and test a few other things I want on my rocket including mounting a camera properly in the airframe. (sorry dogzilla for losing your camera Sad )

WaidmannsHeil7
ARA Member

My first mid-power, Aerotech Mustang.

« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2011, 09:13:53 PM »

Thanks for asking that Mr F, and the answer from Nat is good.
Had wondered what that was.

Vector Force Rocket Club

My blog - http://lonewolfnoble.blogspot.com.au/
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And CreateAForum.com