Australian Rocketry Association INC
June 28, 2017, 03:22:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WRL Rocketry

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Binder Excel Plus - My L2 Build  (Read 15373 times)
Mr F
ARA Member

I am your father!

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 06:22:14 PM »

The following morning I continued on the avbay (after another fin-fillet). I epoxied eye-bolts and then attached the threaded rods to one of the plates. These rods keep the avbay as a single unit and also serve as a mount for any electronics you may (or may not) possess.

In my case, I've got a cruddy little USB-altimeter to attach, so instead of making a "slide" out of G10 or balsa sheet as mentioned, I'll probably just hot-glue gun my alt to a carboard tube used to hold a HPR igniter. These tubes also make great launch lugs for MPR rockets:

They call me Flinty... they call me Johnno... they call me Freddy... always the same...
that's not my name... that's not my name... that's not my name... that's not my name...

EP Rocketry section head
ARA #120
L2 and scheming...
Mr F
ARA Member

I am your father!

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 06:25:06 PM »

Haha, remember that stink I mentioned. It's day three and I've head all sorts of theories about the source of that horrible stench. I'm sticking with my dead-fish theory. Turns out you just have to ask the right person... or look up rather than down/behind things/under things/in cupboards etc.

who the hell puts a fly trap inside a shed?!?!?!? I'm pretty peeved at the moment (as well as laughing at my own foolishness) because I could've been smelling sweet fresh air the whole build. Hope this doesn't have any impact on the finished product!

They call me Flinty... they call me Johnno... they call me Freddy... always the same...
that's not my name... that's not my name... that's not my name... that's not my name...

EP Rocketry section head
ARA #120
L2 and scheming...
Mr F
ARA Member

I am your father!

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 06:27:58 PM »

Finishing off the avbay... I smeared a super-thin layer of epoxy around the end of each coupling tube to reduce wear & tear... After a sand this thing should be a bit more plastic and durable, I hope. I used a cheap, crappy plastic knife as a spatula to get a really thin smear. It worked quite well.

EP Rocketry section head
ARA #120
L2 and scheming...
Mr F
ARA Member

I am your father!

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 06:31:26 PM »

Well, after many hours of curing time, the fin can is just about ready! I had considered organising some kind of heat-lamp to speed up the cure but it wasn't necessary really. Rocketry is about patience, sometimes, eh? Last thing to do is attach the recovery harness before reinserting the fin-can.

Knots... knots!!?!?!? This is rocket club, not the scouts! I just learnt a new knot. It actually seems pretty good.

As per destructions... I lathered it in epoxy, presumably to avoid someone suing Binder because their knot turned out shitty. I actually think mine was ok. Anyway, it's going nowhere now!

EP Rocketry section head
ARA #120
L2 and scheming...
Mr F
ARA Member

I am your father!

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 06:34:37 PM »

The fin can is ready to be glued into the airframe, BUT... how do I stop the harness getting smeared in epoxy meant for the front centering ring? In the end, I decided to poke all the "rope" through the motor mount. That way, I can add epoxy and insert the fin-can without the harness being in the way at all:

Harness through the tube.

Checking the distribution of epoxy. I added a bit more after looking at this.

EP Rocketry section head
ARA #120
L2 and scheming...
Mr F
ARA Member

I am your father!

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »

After sliding the fin-can halfway in, I added some epoxy for the rear centering ring. My wife appeared at this point and took some happy snaps. I included the least embarrasing of them.

Epoxy in place! One advantage of the slow-cure epoxy is you can muck around and take pix with no stress during a build. The 5-min gear goes off like a frog-in-a-sock... no time for happy snaps!

EP Rocketry section head
ARA #120
L2 and scheming...
Mr F
ARA Member

I am your father!

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 06:44:46 PM »

At this point I had one of those moments.... the destructions called for a rubber band or equivalent to keep the aft of the body tube tight against the fin-can while the epoxy cured. Do you think, in the entirety of that man-cave, I could find a rubber band? What about the house? In fact, it appeared that all rubber bands had been swallowed by a passing vortex that favoured only rubber-band like materials. In a last ditch effort I looked in the car, knowing full well there were no rubber bands... but what's that on the gear-shift?

Haha, a hair-tie, eh? Don't tell the wife! It worked quite well. The beer is in celebration of the toughest part of the build being done and completed successfully.

Last thing was to check that the front centering ring epoxy was making a fillet. The ring ended up a few mm aft of where I'd thought, so I was a bit worried about it. After holding the body tube at every angle conceivable - inside, outside, under the bathroom light - I took a photo and realised sometimes a camera can look better than you can yourself:

Fillet looks good!

EP Rocketry section head
ARA #120
L2 and scheming...
Mr F
ARA Member

I am your father!

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 06:46:32 PM »

That's the build up to this point... sorry for the info-dump! Next jobs are to exterior-fillet the fins and attach launch lug or rail buttons (more on that soon)... till then, i've got a couple more beers in the fridge! I'm drinking one for Goffa who is SA's first official L3! You're my hero Goffa!!!

EP Rocketry section head
ARA #120
L2 and scheming...
EMiR
ARA Member

Sir L3

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 07:13:27 PM »

Nice work F, good build technique..

Gees the AVbay is huge
just about use a laptop as a flight computer

wolflair
ARA Member

V2

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 09:15:42 PM »

love the build so far Mr F looking good

that J 350 will turn the excel into a bullet  headbang

Join the Australian Rocketry Association INC the largest model and high power rocketry organisation in Australia

ARA # 007
ARA Level 3

WRL Rocketry
Australian Aerotech Dealer
Australian Rocketry Fo
Rocketmad
ARA Member

I am what I am

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 11:13:48 AM »

hey nice build you have there well done. but not sure about the beer bottle  icon_puke_r
RocketballSA
ARA Member

Fantom on a H170 Sparky

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 12:59:42 PM »

Great stuff Mr F. Had a few chuckles out of that  dizgrin

Don't mind Pale ale. Goes down well  dizwink

AARC Secretary/Treasurer 02,  ARA L2 Flight Test Officer 

Join the AARC http://www.aarc.australianrocketryclub.com.au/contents/en-us/d1.html

Australian Rocketry For
Lachlan

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 06:34:29 PM »

Ahh! I feel a good old fashion space race coming on!

My level 2 rocket is just getting its fin fillets done, then almost ready to paint

Eyre peninsula vs AARC!

As for epoxy I highly highly recomend West System epoxy, takes a while to set but when it does whatever its attached to is never coming free by natural causes ever again!
Goffa
ARA Member

Extreme Wildman on M1297W

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 07:07:14 PM »

Go Mr F!!
great to see a good humored warts and all account of what looks like a damm good build.
should handle the j350 no worries...its sure gonna go high...
Spalding eats L2 rockets for lunch! maybe think about Karoonda?

how exciting it is to build a rocket...good therapy to work with your hands...and the anticipation of seeing it in action...

Funny how every build always has that..uhoh...moment when you think you have stuffed it completely...
then that...phew...moment when you recover the situation!

ARA 126
AARC 16
Level 3
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And CreateAForum.com