Australian Rocketry Association INC
June 28, 2017, 03:25:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Australian Rocketry Association INC has trademarked its logo with IP Australia

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Binder Excel Plus - My L2 Build  (Read 15374 times)
Mr F
ARA Member

I am your father!

« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2011, 02:53:15 PM »

back on the rock... it was time to work on the rail buttons. First I needed to rule a line to make sure the buttons were lined up.

The destructions called for the aft rail button to be drilled 1/2" from the back. If I'd done that it wouldn't have been drilled into a centering ring, which I would prefer to do. I think that the 1/2" measurement might've been for older versions of the excel, though, because the new excels have the thrust plate and aft centering ring right at the back. Anyway, I decided to drill the aft rail button into the aft centering ring instead of at 1/2"

I also used rocksim to figure out the CG of the Excel Plus, which was where I drilled the forward rail button. It was about 4" forwards of where the destructions called for it to be located. I hope I've figured them right!

After drilling I gave the holes a sand to remove the glassine, and roughed up the buttons too, to make a stronger bond. Last thing was to wick a bit of glue into the holes to toughen them up. Once that's dry I'll be screwing in these rail buttons, and ready to paint!

They call me Flinty... they call me Johnno... they call me Freddy... always the same...
that's not my name... that's not my name... that's not my name... that's not my name...

EP Rocketry section head
ARA #120
L2 and scheming...
Mr F
ARA Member

I am your father!

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2011, 03:14:28 PM »

This was my first time using rail buttons... following the steps supplied by binder, i wicked some epoxy (oops, was meant to use CA oh well) into the holes and waited for it to dry to toughen the holes up. Then I roughed up the underside of the buttons, smeared epoxy on the screw and underside of the buttons, and screwed them into the body tube. They look lined up ok, will find out when I try to slide it on the rail i guess!

i still can't believe the set up of these buttons... do they really stand up under the force of a J motor?!?! There's really not that much area gripping the tube, compared to a launch lug anyway. I know which one would be harder to rip off (well, I think I know, anyway)

in the meantime, i started spraying the upper section

and once the buttons glue had cured I started spraying the lower section

They call me Flinty... they call me Johnno... they call me Freddy... always the same...
that's not my name... that's not my name... that's not my name... that's not my name...

EP Rocketry section head
ARA #120
L2 and scheming...
Mr F
ARA Member

I am your father!

« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2011, 03:17:57 PM »

and now, it's just about finished! I got it out today to take some pix and the little man decided he'd get a few more out for some "fleet shots"

then the little lady decided she wanted in on the action

funniest thing about these shots is, they love mucking around and trying to break these things, but as soon as they're on the pad they run screaming  diztongue

the other thing that's funny is: the little gold rocket on the right was my L1 rock... now compare that to the L2. But I'm not getting carried away by the hobby, no, not at all...  wub

EP Rocketry section head
ARA #120
L2 and scheming...
Mr F
ARA Member

I am your father!

« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2011, 03:22:08 PM »

one of the last things I need to do is screw the nose cone to the body tube... the instructions don't mention how many or what size... any advice people?

EP Rocketry section head
ARA #120
L2 and scheming...
WaidmannsHeil7
ARA Member

My first mid-power, Aerotech Mustang.

« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2011, 03:30:02 PM »

Thats a nice looking rocket Mr F!  icon_thumleft

Vector Force Rocket Club

My blog - http://lonewolfnoble.blogspot.com.au/
Dogzilla
ARA Member

« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2011, 03:34:17 PM »

Yep know the feeling about getting bigger and bigger rockets Mr F....

Just about everything in my range box is a J at the moment....

Mind you....cost wise i'd rather launch 1 x J Impulse motor to 4000 feet on a big rocket than do 3 smaller rockets on say a G - which would prolly be about the same price give or take. Maybe it's the wow factor.

Now saying that - my first launch tomorrow should be a J340M....yay!

EMiR
ARA Member

Sir L3

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2011, 06:43:13 PM »

I generally screw the top BT to the AV bay and have the ejection charge push the nose cone off and main chute out.

but to screw the nose cone on just go 3-4 little wood screws. maybe something like 6mm x 10mm long (short 1/4" coarse thread screws) dome head.

Lachlan

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2011, 09:27:59 PM »

Congratulations you beat me to it, mines in the paint shop at the moment, maybe I should have picked a simpler design!

Funny you mentioning about screwing on the nose cone because I have that problem too, suppliers are getting CHEAP these days, at least binder design supply the little press lugs!
Unlike PML who as I understand it want you to buy it as a extra!
Mr F
ARA Member

I am your father!

« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2011, 11:18:53 PM »

Nah not in this case, Loki. This is a binder kit but the screws were not included. Not complaining, though, as this kit came with a retention system for free Smiley

I've got some small screws that will do the job...

EP Rocketry section head
ARA #120
L2 and scheming...
Mr F
ARA Member

I am your father!

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2011, 09:38:11 PM »

drilled the holes...

started gluing & screwing (similar to doing a rail-button, really)

haha, idjit... forgot to tie the shock cord to the nose-cone  fanembarrassed that could've been a tricky fix once the glues & screws were set. I'm putting it down to being over-excited. I didn't glue the shock-cord this time, just tied a few extra knots, with the idea that I may change the config of the front end sometime in the future.

does having metal screws makes this a HPR-only rock? I'm guessing it will weigh well over 1500g anyhow...

EP Rocketry section head
ARA #120
L2 and scheming...
Rocketmad
ARA Member

I am what I am

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2011, 09:54:54 PM »

u didnt need to glue those screws in cause if u do dual deploy later you want the nose cone to come off.
but nice looking rocket well done.
but u have committed a sin  evil3 you painted on top of your bbq man i cant belive you defaced the bbq going to have to report this to the RSPC BBQ........lol
Mr F
ARA Member

I am your father!

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2011, 10:03:21 PM »

u didnt need to glue those screws in cause if u do dual deploy later you want the nose cone to come off.
but nice looking rocket well done.
but u have committed a sin  evil3 you painted on top of your bbq man i cant belive you defaced the bbq going to have to report this to the RSPC BBQ........lol

dizlaugh cheers man, but nah - it's the old bbq. I think it's just a playground for spiders now. I've got one a them fancy bbq's on wheels  icon_geek

not sure about the screws... i think they'll come out again with some encouragement. I added a bit of glue to make sure they didn't unscrew themselves. Worst comes to worst I'll just drill 'em out if I want to make serious mods.

As for dual-deploy... this kit is still good to go on that front. The av-bay ejects backwards instead of the nose cone, forwards. Does that make sense? I'm just doin' what i'm told  icon_salut

EP Rocketry section head
ARA #120
L2 and scheming...
Goffa
ARA Member

Extreme Wildman on M1297W

« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2011, 11:21:14 PM »

Nice build Mr F!
Rocket looks plenty strong enough for any motor that will fit.
The anticipation is building....anyone getting nnnnnervous?

ARA 126
AARC 16
Level 3
wolfies gurl
ASIO

Polecat Thumper on an M1297 yeah!!!!!

« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2011, 11:28:45 PM »

4 weeks to go !!!! how exciting I can't wait to see this cert flight. Build looks good Mr F you have done a marvelous job Smiley

I will have to pack my video camera and get lots of footage of our fellow club members for show and tell when we get back to Perth.

LEVEL 3 - Australia's first female LEVEL 3 Certification. 100% born and bred.

"Never tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And CreateAForum.com