Australian Rocketry Association INC
April 30, 2017, 05:24:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Rocket Girl joins the ARA sponsor list.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MickG and Mr hybrid two stage hybrid rocket  (Read 17571 times)
Mr hybrid
ARA Member

Our 2 stage hybrid.

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2011, 02:43:19 PM »

here are the rail lug photos, i have drilled 4 holes in each that match precisely with the holes on the rocket, these will serve as both alignment holes while gluing and after gluing i will tap a M3 thread through both the lug and the blue tube and install M3 grub screws for extra strength.
Rocketmad
ARA Member

I am what I am

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2011, 02:50:22 PM »

looking good guys enjoy reading this thread keep it up.  icon_thumleft
Mr hybrid
ARA Member

Our 2 stage hybrid.

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2011, 01:12:47 PM »

I made the pin puller yesterday. here are some photos and a video of the test firing. The pin puller will be used to deploy the main chute. when the pin puller is activated it allows the drogue chute to pull out the main parachute. the body of the pin puller is made of cast nylon and the e-match holder is made of PVC. the e-match holder screws into the top of the housing. when it is activated the gasses push the pin away from the slotted end of the housing releasing the drogue. once the pin has moved the full distance it slides past a vent hole in the top of the housing venting the gasses. it also stops against the M3 bolt at the end, this keeps the pin contained with-in the pin puller.

mrhybrid - VIDEO0038.mp4

Mr hybrid
ARA Member

Our 2 stage hybrid.

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2011, 08:40:54 PM »

I have now installed the pin puller on the top bulkhead of the av-bay along with the e-match connection blocks. One block has both the apogee connections Primary and backup, and the other has both pin puller connections primary and backup.
Mr hybrid
ARA Member

Our 2 stage hybrid.

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2011, 07:03:46 PM »

okay it is nearly ready for the first test flight of the second stage. all i need to do is connect the parachutes  to their anchor points and put a motor in it.

oh and it needs some paint but that can come later.
wolflair
ARA Member

V2

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2011, 12:53:44 PM »

make sure get plenty of footage for this flight guys  blcool

Join the Australian Rocketry Association INC the largest model and high power rocketry organisation in Australia

ARA # 007
ARA Level 3

WRL Rocketry
Australian Aerotech Dealer
Australian Rocketry Fo
Mr hybrid
ARA Member

Our 2 stage hybrid.

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2011, 11:04:40 PM »

I have been working on the booster section, construction is almost finished, just need to glue in the motor mount and fins and attach the rail lugs. Here are two photos of the electronics hatch, i am using a Whoosh-tronics Umad for the booster parachute deployment. The Umad will be siliconed to the inside of the hatch cover, along with its battery. In the photo you can see the top of the skyripper 54m motor. the Umad fit's easily between the inside wall of the air frame and the motor tube.  It should be ready to fly on the October long weekend.

Mr hybrid
ARA Member

Our 2 stage hybrid.

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2011, 01:16:08 AM »

Mick and I mated the booster and the second stage today for the first time and also tested the parachute ejection system on the booster all went very well. in the photos you can see us fitting the carbon rods and tubes to the booster section.

Rocketmad
ARA Member

I am what I am

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2011, 12:54:12 PM »

were those rods to align the 2 sections?

looking nice btw
Mr hybrid
ARA Member

Our 2 stage hybrid.

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2011, 03:11:48 PM »

That's right Rocketmad the rods along with a 40mm section of coupler fitting into the booster give a nice ridged joint between the booster and the second stage that also separates really easily. It will be flying next weekend weather permitting.   [/b][/font][/color]
Mr hybrid
ARA Member

Our 2 stage hybrid.

« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2011, 05:02:50 PM »

Just another photo of those carbon rods, now in position on the booster.
Mr hybrid
ARA Member

Our 2 stage hybrid.

« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2011, 07:04:38 PM »

Here are some photos of the recovery systems we are using in the rocket first, and then the booster.
In the rocket we are using a pin puller to realse the main parachute. The ejection charge is placed between the main parachute deployment bag (nomex) and the piston that pushes out the drogue parachute and the nose cone. The main deployment bag also moves up the airframe, until it is half way out, it is stopped when the kevlar line anchored to the pin puller goes tight. when the set hight for the main deployment is reached the pin puller is fired and the main deployment bag is pulled all the way out by the drogue.

The next photo is of the booster recovery system.
The 48" parachute is packed inside the two pistons (very tight fit) the pistons protect the chute from both the ejection charge and the second stage motor ignition.

Rocketmad
ARA Member

I am what I am

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2011, 07:43:31 PM »

so what deploys the piston out and when?
wolflair
ARA Member

V2

« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2011, 07:47:23 PM »

very well built guys should be a great flight

Join the Australian Rocketry Association INC the largest model and high power rocketry organisation in Australia

ARA # 007
ARA Level 3

WRL Rocketry
Australian Aerotech Dealer
Australian Rocketry Fo
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And CreateAForum.com