Australian Rocketry Association INC
August 20, 2017, 07:48:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Well done to all the members of the Canberra Rocketry Group for building a great club over the last two years bring on 2012

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fire at rocket launch hits drought-affected farmer  (Read 3761 times)
QRC Founder

Founding member of the QLD Rocketry Club/Society

« on: March 12, 2014, 10:47:41 PM »

I'm sure many of you have heard about this by now.

http://www.jimboombatimes.com.au/story/2142658/fire-at-rocket-launch-hits-drought-affected-farmer/?cs=2431#slide=2

http://www.jimboombatimes.com.au/story/2140349/rocket-launch-ignites-grass-fire-at-cedar-grove-photos/?cs=2433#slide=2

http://www.jimboombatimes.com.au/story/2140349/rocket-launch-ignites-grass-fire-at-cedar-grove-photos/?cs=2433#slide=2

I can't believe these guys launched under such conditions. Totally irresponsible. Originally from a farming back ground I would never have allowed a launch to take place under such prevailing conditions when I was at the helm of the QLD Rocketry Club/Society.
Anyway, I hope these guys have learnt their lesson and also pay the farmer some form of compensation which is only fair.

I hope this does not give rocketry a bad name but I can't imagine such an incident will be good PR.
EMiR
ARA Member

Sir L3

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 12:28:32 PM »

Thank you for the post,

Yes most of the ARQ members are aware of this.. and are are pretty much of the same opinion, that this was an extremely reckless launch.

We as ARQ have canceled 2 low powered launches this year, because of that exact reason, being a grass field and being to dry.
and we are only launching up to G powered rockets at this site.

To launch j,K,l class sparkies in that environment, is crazy beyond belief

QRC Founder

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 02:47:18 PM »

I am keeping close tabs on what is happening. I have been waiting, or more so expecting (for) something like this to happen. I have spoken with the farmer and also a gentleman from the Logan City council who I am assisting with his investigations.

I have offered the club advice on their FaceBook sites with regards to engaging with the local Rural Fire Service in implementing and adopting a fire awareness and safety program within the club for all members.
EMiR
ARA Member

Sir L3

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 09:43:45 PM »

careful though, we are not the rocket police..

If they want to burn down their launch site, that is their right..
as long as their actions don't affect us. I see no reason to impose anything on them

Fire is a high risk part of rocketry, most clubs take this as a primary concern.
it would appear how ever that QRS let their arrogance get the better of them..

EDIT Admin

QRC Founder

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 08:00:55 AM »

As he knows nothing about rocketry I am just providing information that can assist him with his investigations for example he asked me what a J rocket motor is and was it a powerful motor etc and simply informing him of their unwillingness to take on board advice regarding fire safety and engaging with the RFS.

At the end of the day I still feel a bit of ownership and pride in the fact I planted the seed years ago that has seen the club grow to what it is today. Even for the fact they still use the logo I originally designed gives me a sense of pride.
If I had the time these days I would probably be more active as I still have all the launch equipment I purchased (with my own funds)

I certainly wouldn't want to see the club go away. They just need to put a cap on their arrogance like you said.

Maybe not the rocketry police but we are all responsible for safety as it affects everybody. There is a reason fireworks is illegal in this country. Due to people doing stupid irresponsible things and harming themselves and others.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And CreateAForum.com