Australian Rocketry Association INC
June 28, 2017, 03:34:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Congrats to Alan from QRA on his Level 1

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Launch site fire in QLD non ARA club  (Read 2239 times)
wolflair
ARA Member

V2

« on: March 13, 2014, 01:16:13 AM »

Hello members

In case you are not aware last Sunday QRS burnt down there launch site see attached pic it has made the local paper and internet THIS CLUB IS NOT PART OF THE ARA IN ANY WAY

http://www.jimboombatimes.com.au/story/2142658/fire-at-rocket-launch-hits-drought-affected-farmer/?cs=2431

During summer or hot/dry windy conditions we should not be launching dry grass burns very easily ,community safety comes first

All clubs must have four fire extinguishers four fire blankets on all launch days no matter what the temp

Launching done during permit times ie spring and autumn should have a fire tender on site min 400 liters

I cannot stress how careful we need to be this fire may impact our insurance time will tell on this front

Regards
Phillip Moore
ARA Secretary

Join the Australian Rocketry Association INC the largest model and high power rocketry organisation in Australia

ARA # 007
ARA Level 3

WRL Rocketry
Australian Aerotech Dealer
Australian Rocketry Fo
QRC Founder

Founding member of the QLD Rocketry Club/Society

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 08:06:36 AM »

I spoke with Dave Brennan who is currently struggling through the drought and because of this fire he has had to buy hay to feed his livestock. He told me that nobody came to help him at all on his farm on the day nor since.

I am assisting Mike Mayo from Logan City council with his investigations into the matter.

Apparently this is not an isolated incident. They have had a large rocket tangle amongst power lines to name one. Some of the photos shown on their Facebook indicate quite questionable launch site choices and conditions. eg launching directly adjacent to power lines, launching in extremely hot and windy conditions and launching amongst or close to long dry grass etc etc. Places I would never dream of allowing a launch to take place. Common sense stuff really.

I made a comment on their Facebook encouraging engagement with the local Rural Fire Service to assist with a Fire Safety awareness program for all club members which I feel was a fair and responsible comment but unfortunately that post was promptly removed. Their lack of responsibility and ownership of the problem is disappointing but not surprising.
RocketballSA
ARA Member

Fantom on a H170 Sparky

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 09:23:58 PM »

I am assisting Mike Mayo from Logan City council with his investigations into the matter.

Hi QRC Founder

This is an unfortunate incident.  divsad  As a former member of the Fire Protection Association of Australia (FPAA) and Australian Rocketry Association (ARA) Representative to this organisation I feel a "duty of care" to assist you in any way possable in this investigation. The current information available (in the public format) does not appear adequate to make suggestions or recommendations on this. Although as pointed out there does appear some obvious weather conditions where common sense has gone amiss! Am keeping in mind was not there to see first hand what actually happened.  dizundecided

Please feel free to contact me at rocket.ball@bigpond.com if you wish expert advice on the ARA Blue Book, ARA High Power Safety Code or NFPA Code 1127 (2013 Edition) fire code and provisions in this designed to prevent fires such as this one within the Logan City Council. The NFPA fire codes and safety codes is all about prevention of fire and protection of the general community at hand from incidents such as this!

AARC Secretary/Treasurer 02,  ARA L2 Flight Test Officer 

Join the AARC http://www.aarc.australianrocketryclub.com.au/contents/en-us/d1.html

Australian Rocketry For
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And CreateAForum.com