Australian Rocketry Association INC
August 21, 2017, 09:11:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WRL Rocketry is now one of only three Aerotech dealers in Australia.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fantom 438 build  (Read 31257 times)
RocketballSA
ARA Member

Fantom on a H170 Sparky

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2009, 05:58:21 PM »

Have completed 3 coats of black on fins and removed paper as shown. Have a small brush prepared just in case touch ups are needed.

Next was to obtain paint suitable for nose cone. Printed off decal sheet available from Loc site and matched paint accordingly,

After 3 coats on nose cone this will complete painting process!  Smiley

Next will be attaching shock cord & parachute!  Smiley

AARC Secretary/Treasurer 02,  ARA L2 Flight Test Officer 

Join the AARC http://www.aarc.australianrocketryclub.com.au/contents/en-us/d1.html

Australian Rocketry For
RocketballSA
ARA Member

Fantom on a H170 Sparky

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2009, 12:43:54 PM »

Instructions recommended to loop the shock cord through the shock cord mount and secure with a double knot, Then add some epoxy to knot!  :-/

From experience have found this process a bit messy so just did 5 knots and trimmed excess off as shown;

Attached the shute to the shock cord as suggested by instructions about 1/3 of the length from the nose cone! The purpose it states 1/3 and not 1/2 is because when the rocket is desending via parachute it avoids the nose cone banging on the body as it desends. More paint chips!  Sad

Next was to attach shock cord to nose cone! again 5 knots;

This completes the attachment process. Next decals were placed on the model. It was noted there was no 438 number decal on their downloaded sheet which was a bit puzzling  :-/ So was not able to place this on. Obtained some clear gloss as shown;

After spraying the clear over decals and allowing to dry this completed the build. An excellent finished product!

Join the AARC http://www.aarc.australianrocketryclub.com.au/contents/en-us/d1.html

Australian Rocketry For
wolflair
ARA Member

V2

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2009, 01:53:11 PM »

she looks great dude just like the one on the loc site very cool

Join the Australian Rocketry Association INC the largest model and high power rocketry organisation in Australia

ARA # 007
ARA Level 3

WRL Rocketry
Australian Aerotech Dealer
Australian Rocketry Fo
wolfies gurl
ASIO

Polecat Thumper on an M1297 yeah!!!!!

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2009, 04:29:43 PM »

very nice looking rocket indeed rocketballSA love the finished result.

LEVEL 3 - Australia's first female LEVEL 3 Certification. 100% born and bred.

"Never tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"
RocketballSA
ARA Member

Fantom on a H170 Sparky

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2009, 04:36:56 PM »

Thanks Wolflair and Wolfies gurl! Next as per instructions it suggests to select a motor for first flight! Recommended motors are F50-6, G80-7, H97-M and H123-M (M meaning medium delay)

While normally it is best for a first flight to use a F50-6 or G80-7, as am confident of a successful flight will use a H97-M reload with the appropreate casing as shown here;

Checking to determine there will be no problems it was noted the stupid thing did not fit in the rocket!  Angry Angry as seen here;

Reffering back to instructions it was noted a MMA-2 adapter is needed for 29mm motors (NOT INCLUDED IN KIT) Lucky just happen to have one of those as seen here;

Next will hopefully be its first successfull flight!  Cool

Australian Rocketry For
Mr F
ARA Member

I am your father!

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2009, 10:14:55 PM »

Quote from: 6
Checking to determine there will be no problems it was noted the stupid thing did not fit in the rocket!  Angry Angry

Reffering back to instructions it was noted a MMA-2 adapter is needed for 29mm motors (NOT INCLUDED IN KIT) Lucky just happen to have one of those as seen here;

lol... good thing you checked this out BEFORE heading off to Spalding (if that's where you're flying it) but didn't you figure this out at the start? Back on the 1st page you talk about needing a 38 to 29mm converter.

Man, this thing looks sweet. You've done a really good job with the finishing details. Make sure to post vids eh?

They call me Flinty... they call me Johnno... they call me Freddy... always the same...
that's not my name... that's not my name... that's not my name... that's not my name...

EP Rocketry section head
ARA #120
L2 and scheming...
RocketballSA
ARA Member

Fantom on a H170 Sparky

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2009, 12:08:16 AM »

Yes Mr F am aware of what was stated at the start, the point of that comment was to highlight to the new rocketeer the importance to read instructions which when your starting out is necassary.

Nothing worse than getting to a stage where your preparing to fly and realising you have forgotten something! Happens alot to newcommers!  Smiley

Australian Rocketry For
RocketballSA
ARA Member

Fantom on a H170 Sparky

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2009, 10:53:36 PM »

In answer to your other comments Mr F was planning on launching this Sunday at Spalding however this has been canned due to weather and will likely be launched on the 16th August! Getting video may be difficult as no one appears interested in doing stuff like that at Spalding!  Roll Eyes

If however I wanted to launch this rocket outside of Spalding this can be done and will explain why;

(1) Having reviewed the following;

(a) Materials used in construction!
(b) Recommended motors for flight with the maximum of H123 (which is 125grams propellant)
(c) Weight of this rocket which includes the total weight with a H123 installed.
(d) Total newton-seconds of the maximum motor recommended

Have determined for the purpose of CASA air clearance this rocket is a "model rocket" and under Australian law provided;

(1) My launch site is outside 5 Nautical miles from any aerodrome or airport.
(2) Is not operated into controlled or military airspace.
(3) Is not operated into cloud
(4) Is not operated in the approach or departure paths of an aerodrome
(5) Is not operated in a manner that is hazardous to persons or property, or near aircraft.
(6) Is operated safely such as in this safety code;http://www.australianrocketryclub.com.au/forum/m-1201671562/

Provided have permission of the landowner, when operated in this safe manner this rocket may be operated;

At any time of day or night, from any place, at any height without permission from CASA or air traffic control (ATC)

Thats FREE Mr F  Wink  Tongue

On the basis of the above having determined for CASA clearance this rocket is NOT a high power rocket will now ask ICBM to please move this entie build thread into the model rocket section!  Smiley

Australian Rocketry For
Greg2637

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2009, 05:11:56 AM »

More than happy to lend you the video camera Rocketball if you would like to do the video I guess the kids would rather see the rockets take off without seeing it through a 1.5" cam monitor
RocketballSA
ARA Member

Fantom on a H170 Sparky

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2009, 10:17:28 AM »

Thanks Greg! Might do that. Hopefully wont stuff it up but willing to give it a go! Know the kids have more fun watching the rockets fly! All good  Smiley

Australian Rocketry For
RocketballSA
ARA Member

Fantom on a H170 Sparky

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2009, 09:24:31 PM »

Well have finally got to launch the Fantom! (woot)

In carrying on from the last section the next step was to prepare the Fantom for flight! First was to prepare the recovery system as shown here;

Wadding was inserted into the tube. In this case bioderadable celulose fibre was used as shown here;

Next the parachute was folded as shown here;

Was not able to get a photo of parachute actually folded as was distracted at the time! However after it was folded the shock cord was inserted FIRST as shown in photo with the parachute on top!;

With the nose cone now inserted the recovery system was ready!  Cool

Next the adapter was friction fitted to the fantom as shown here;

Next was to load the casing ready for insertion into the fantom. Peices were laid out as shown here;

Upon completing the assembling of the motor tape was wound around the casing so to friction fit into the fantom adapter! Caution was taken to ensure it was tight enough so as not to eject out at apogee!;

Next was to load it onto the pad and connect the clips to igniter! This photo shows it ready to go on the special club launcher with a 6mm rod. Special note; The mantus launchers with the 6mm rods were not used as these are not suitable for anything about G power!

5 4 3 2 1 launch;

An excellent flight to approx 3500feet. Recovery device deployed at apogee. In this photo which will need to be zoomed you can see it desending on its chute with the next photo showing it touchdown!

All up an excellent build and flight! Thanks to Bones for his excellent service in supplying this kit! This now completes this build thread. Hmmm might try a I211 next flight!  Wink  Cool

Australian Rocketry For
wolfies gurl
ASIO

Polecat Thumper on an M1297 yeah!!!!!

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2009, 10:04:18 AM »

I enjoyed this thread thanks RocketballSA. I love seeing your builds and the detail that you put in.  Smiley  

LEVEL 3 - Australia's first female LEVEL 3 Certification. 100% born and bred.

"Never tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"
Mr F
ARA Member

I am your father!

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2009, 02:17:40 PM »

Quote from: 3
I enjoyed this thread thanks RocketballSA. I love seeing your builds and the detail that you put in.  Smiley  

Agreed! This thread deserves to be "sticky" it's great for me and anyone just starting out in the MP/HPR area.

(clap)(clap)(clap)(clap) Bravo! (clap)(clap)(clap)(clap)

They call me Flinty... they call me Johnno... they call me Freddy... always the same...
that's not my name... that's not my name... that's not my name... that's not my name...

EP Rocketry section head
ARA #120
L2 and scheming...
Mr F
ARA Member

I am your father!

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2010, 04:22:18 PM »

Quote from: 6
If however I wanted to launch this rocket outside of Spalding this can be done and will explain why;

(1) Having reviewed the following;

(a) Materials used in construction!
(b) Recommended motors for flight with the maximum of H123 (which is 125grams propellant)
(c) Weight of this rocket which includes the total weight with a H123 installed.
(d) Total newton-seconds of the maximum motor recommended

Have determined for the purpose of CASA air clearance this rocket is a "model rocket" and under Australian law provided;

(1) My launch site is outside 5 Nautical miles from any aerodrome or airport.
(2) Is not operated into controlled or military airspace.
(3) Is not operated into cloud
(4) Is not operated in the approach or departure paths of an aerodrome
(5) Is not operated in a manner that is hazardous to persons or property, or near aircraft.
(6) Is operated safely such as in this safety code;http://www.australianrocketryclub.com.au/forum/m-1201671562/

Provided have permission of the landowner, when operated in this safe manner this rocket may be operated;

At any time of day or night, from any place, at any height without permission from CASA or air traffic control (ATC)

Thats FREE Mr F  Wink  Tongue

On the basis of the above having determined for CASA clearance this rocket is NOT a high power rocket will now ask ICBM to please move this entie build thread into the model rocket section!  Smiley

I was just rereading this thread as I remembered this quote.

Maurice can you clarify a point please??? The H97 that you originally mentioned you would use would be classed as HPR, wouldn't it? I checked the stats and it has 140g of propellant and I think you mention the cutoff is 125g.

The other question is, even though some of these motors (such as the H123) have less than 125g of propellant and thus are not classified as HPR by CASA, I would still need Lvl1 to fly this motor, wouldn't I? What I mean is, they are still considered HPR for certification purposes?

EP Rocketry section head
ARA #120
L2 and scheming...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Design By simply sibyl And CreateAForum.com